Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ketchup on a Hot Dog? I Agree with Royko

Kevin Pang, writer for the Chicago Tribune, has a piece saying St. Mike Royko was WRONG regarding ketchup on a hot dog (though the point is that it's a Chicago hot dog). Pang quotes Royko thusly: "No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right."

That is a perfectly valid argument. But Pang grows a pair and declares that Mike Royko was wrong.

I am against ketchup on a hot dog. I am pro ketchup on fries. I don't hate ketchup. I do like to soup up my ketchup with hot sauce, mustard, tabasco, and black pepper. But it is still recognizable as ketchup. I eat it. On fries. And like it.

But my kids like ketchup on hot dogs. I told them that they had to quit eating hot dogs that way when they reached 12, but my daughter has not, and she's past that age. My friend, who runs a little hot dog stand that nobody's ever heard of, says that he has no problem if a customer requests ketchup on a hot dog.

Royko was right, however. It's not the way to do, but I would never make fun of someone for doing it. (OK, maybe not never, but rarely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment